Time used to move a lot slower in the Land of Stories than in the Otherworld, which is why the fairy-tales are already so old when in the Land of Stories they happened only a few years ago. This was altered when Alex & Conner were born; they were born of both worlds, which connected the two dimensions.
The Otherworld (Our World)
- The Dark Ages: Ezmia is found by the Fairy Godmother and taken to the Land of Stories.
- 1811: The Brothers Grimm are kidnapped by General Marquis and threatened to reveal the way to the Land of Stories. The Grand Armée enters the portal and remains there for 200 years.
- After John and Charlotte Bailey meet, they don't see each other for 3 years before getting married.
- Mr. and Mrs. Bailey were married for 12 years before Mr. Bailey died in a car crash.
- Mr Bailey died a few days before the twins' 11th birthday.
- The events of The Enchantress Returns take place "roughly one year" after The Wishing Spell.
- If the portal's magic contains the Grand Armée for exactly 200 years, A Grimm Warning takes place in 2011, setting The Wishing Spell in 2009, and The Enchantress Returns in 2010.
- Beyond the Kingdoms takes place 5 months (or "146 nights of dishwashing") after A Grimm Warning (setting it in 2011-2012)
- An Author's Odyssey follows Beyond the Kingdoms seamlessly, so it is still 2011-2012.
- The New York City Portal is said to open 'within the next 6 months' of Beyond the Kingdoms, and it opens at the end of An Author's Odyssey, presumably in 2012.
- Worlds Collide can be assumed to be set in 2012-2013 as well.
The Land of Stories
"A Collision of Dimensions" and Spontaneous Portals
The different timelines are illustrated in Beyond the Kingdoms when the Sisters Grimm explain the occurrence of spontaneous portals: "Pretend the two dimensions are planets circling the sun. The green one is the fairy-tale world and the blue one is our world. Even though they move at different speeds somewhere in the cosmos, every so often their orbit crosses and they collide."
The collisions, according to the Sisters Grimm, cause gateways between the worlds, explaining millennia of 'mythological' sightings, stories and beliefs.